Thursday, April 05, 2007

Twins win.

Twins win again. Ortiz pitched very well. It was good to see that our #2 and 3 starters actually pitched better than Santana. I am not a big Ortiz fan but at the price some other pitchers were going for this off-season he was a pretty good deal.

He will continue to pitch well if he can keep his K to BB ratio at 4:1, even if is 3:1 he will probably have a good year.

Is it me or are the strikezones even smaller this year?

I was watching Baseball Tonight and heard a good one last night. Buster Olney was mentioning how good a manager Jim Tracy was in 1-run games after Pittsburgh defeated Houston 5-4. He said Jim Tracy was known for being a good manager in 1-run games.

I thought this statement was laughable because 1-run games are generally decided by luck more so than managing. So in effect, he is saying Jim Tracy is the luckiest manager in baseball.

If there is some skill in managing 1-run games I would like to know that skill. What does Jim Tracy do that other managers don’t do?

I think I know. He has his closer give Craig Biggio a fat pitch that he hit for a homerun that turns a 5-3 game into a 5-4 game. I guess Tracy is a great manager in 1-run games, truly a genius.

I looked up his record in one run games. It actually is pretty good at 166-137. Basically he had a great record in 2 seasons and the rest of the time he hovered around .500 in 1-run games the rest of his career. He is one lucky SOB.

If you have questions on why 1-run games are considered lucky let me know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home